Shayegani Bruno Family Faculty Fellow
Department of Biological Statistics and Computational Biology
Department of Statistical Science
I am broadly interested in developing statistical machine learning methods for structure learning and prediction of complex, high-dimensional systems arising in biological and social sciences. I am currently working in two areas: (a) network modeling of high-dimensional time series; and (b) detecting high-order interactions in complex biological systems using randomized tree ensembles. I also work closely with scientists and economists on a wide range of problems including prostate cancer progression, large scale metabolomics, and systemic risk monitoring in financial markets.
My research is supported in part by a three-year grant from the National Science Foundation (NSF DMS-1812128).
Before joining Cornell, I was a postdoctoral scholar (2014-2016) in the Department of Statistics, UC Berkeley and the Biosciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory . I received my PhD (2014) from the Department of Statistics, University of Michigan , and my bachelors (2006) and masters (2008) in Statistics from Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata .
Publications and Preprints
- Sumanta Basu *, Karl Kumbier*, James B. Brown and Bin Yu (2018). iterative Random Forests to discover predictive and stable high-order interactions, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences . [ CRAN , github , link , PNAS Commentary ]
- Sumanta Basu *, William Durren*, Charles R. Evans, Charles F. Burant, George Michailidis and Alla Karnovsky (2017). Sparse network modeling and Metscape-based visualization methods for the analysis of large-scale metabolomics data, Bioinformatics , 33(10): 1545-1553 . [ link , software ]
- Jiahe Lin*, Sumanta Basu *, Moulinath Banerjee and George Michailidis (2016). Penalized Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Multi-layered Gaussian Graphical Models, Journal of Machine Learning Research , 17(146):1-51, 2016 . [ link ].
- Sumanta Basu and George Michailidis (2015). Regularized estimation of sparse high-dimensional time series models. Annals of Statistics , 43(4), 1535-1567. [ link ]
- Sumanta Basu , Ali Shojaie and George Michailidis (2015). Network Granger causality with inherent grouping structure. Journal of Machine Learning Research , 16, 417-453. [ link ]
- Akash K Kaushik, Shaiju K Vareed, Sumanta Basu , Vasanta Putluri, Nagireddy Putluri, Katrin Panzitt, Christine A Brennan, Arul M Chinnaiyan, Ismael A Vergara, Nicholas Erho, Nancy L Weigel, Nicholas Mitsiades, Ali Shojaie, Ganesh Palapattu, George Michailidis and Arun Sreekumar (2014). Metabolomic profiling identifies biochemical pathways associated with castration-resistant prostate cancer. Journal of proteome research , 13(2), 1088-1100. [ link ]
- Ali Shojaie, Sumanta Basu and George Michailidis (2012). Adaptive thresholding for reconstructing regulatory networks from time-course gene expression data. Statistics in Biosciences , 4(1), 66-83. [ link ]
- Sumanta Basu , Sreyoshi Das, George Michailidis and Amiyatosh Purnanandam. A system-wide approach to measure connecitivity in the financial sector, submitted . A preliminary version was presented in 16th Annual Bank Research Conference . [ SSRN ]
- Sumanta Basu and George Michailidis. Low-rank and sparse modeling of high-dimensional vector autoregressions, in preparation . [ pdf ]
[*]: equal contribution
- Fall 2018: BTRY 6010/ILRST 6100 Statistical Methods I
- Spring 2018: STSCI 7190 Advanced Multivariate Statistics
- Fall 2017: BTRY 6010/ILRST 6100 Statistical Methods I
- Spring 2017: BTRY 6520/STSCI 6520 Computationally Intensive Statistical Methods
1192 Comstock Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853
Phone: (607) 255-9813